Thursday, July 4, 2019

Dirt Cheap Audio Review: Kinter MA120+ Mini Amplifier

This is a review of a very inexpensive mini amplifier:  the Kinter MA120+.  I bought it because I was really disappointed when my bargain thrift store micro stereo died after about 5 minutes of use.  My $11 investment left me with two fairly decent little Sony bookshelf speakers and a dead console.  However, this gave me a great opportunity to experiment with a mini digital amplifier.  Since this blog is all about fun with dirt cheap audio, I chose the Kinter MA120+ Mini Amplifier which came in at only $12.

[A similar choice in 2024 would be the Kinter MA170.]

Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp Capabilities


The little amp offers FM radio, the ability to play MP3 files from an SD memory card or USB source, and a left and right RCA input for streaming audio from devices such as a cell phone. 

Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp
The mini amp comes with a very small flat remote control and a cable for extending the remote eye of little device.  Apparently mini amplifiers like this are popular among old car enthusiasts.  They are hidden in an old car and take the place of an antique radio.  The Kinter MA120+ has outputs for two stereo speakers.

Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp (back plate)

The system puts out about 8 Watts per channel.  This was enough power for the 20 watt speakers that came with the old Sony system.  Sound from this system easily filled our apartment at a fairly loud volume.

The Kinter MA120+ as the heart of a Mini Stereo


Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp Size


The mini amp is about 6.1 inches wide, 3.9 inches deep, and 1.7 inches high.  This puts the width at just a little less than the length of my Samsung Galaxy S7.

Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp Use


The instructions that come with the Kinter MA120+ are somewhat limited.  But, it did come with a useful diagram that showed where everything was and what it was.  When I set up the input to be FM radio and I hit scan, the Mini Amp display quickly ran through all the available radio stations in our area and assigned a preset number to them.  I could not figure out a way to assign my own preset numbers.  However, when I punched in the number of any preset on the wafer thin remote, it changed the channel to the corresponding radio station.  The easiest thing to do is simply right down the preset numbers of the channels you are interested in.



I also found that the Kinter MA120+ did a great job of playing music from my streaming Amazon Music service.  I just used an RCA Y-Cable adapter.

I did not test playback of MP3 files from a USB device or a memory card.  I simply don't have stored music in that format.

Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp Drawbacks

At a $12 price point, the Kinter MA120+ Mini Amplifier does have some drawbacks.

1. Quality Control.  The first Kinter MA120+ Mini Amp to arrive via Amazon was dead on arrival.  It didn't power on or anything.  However, returns with Amazon are very easy and the replacement unit arrived the very next day.  Amazon reviews suggest that these little amps can be problematic.

2. No Bluetooth.  The MA120+ does not have Bluetooth connectivity.  There are other Kinter Mini Amplifiers that offer Bluetooth, but they cost slightly more.

3. No Mute.  The Kinter MA120+ does not have a mute button on the remote or the unit itself.

There are additional drawbacks like the lack of a left-right balance control.  However, when I consider the low price of the Kinter MA120+, I don't feel like they are reasonable to expect at this particular price.  One of the biggest drawbacks to the Mini Amp is that users may simply not need this device.  The world is literally awash in Bluetooth speakers.  Younger readers may be happy with their phones an a pair of earbuds.

Kinter MA120+ Overall Review


For $12, I'm very happy with the Kinter MA120+.  I'm just thrilled to have an old school mini stereo.  I'm imagining ways to make a cigar box stereo, etc. I think it sounds pretty good.  I just like this little amplifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment