Sunday, June 26, 2016

Speaker Encounter: JVC SK-S44 3-Way Speakers

Big Stereo Speakers Lurk in Thrift Stores 

If you are looking for big sound from your stereo system, big stereo speakers are still available at your local thrift store. It may take some hunting and there may not be big stereo speakers every week, but they do surface regularly. I spotted a pair of JVC SK-S44 3-Way Speakers at a North Georgia Goodwill about a week ago. Unfortunately, I'm getting ready to move across town again and adding anything heavy to our load is out of the question.

The lucky buyer will find that these JVC speakers can handle up to 120 watts, are set up for 8-ohms impedance, and have a frequency range of 35hz to 20kHz.  While purists may scoff (and they do in this Audiokarma thread), these bad boys would probably rock in the right basement.
  
JVC SK-S44 3-Way Speakers
The foam surrounds for each speaker looked good and the grills were dirty but otherwise intact.  To me, these JVC speakers looked like a great deal for $25.  For more specs, the folks as HiFiEngine have an SK-S44 spec page and download.

6 comments:

  1. I purchased a pair of these yesterday from a Goodwill off Roswell Road and plan to resell. I'm not sure if the same speakers but I cleaned them up and work great. Just came across your post tonight while searching for the price I should sell them for. What would you value these speakers at currently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! I'm not sure what those speakers would sell for. You could check ebay or you could try audiokarma.org and ask there. Unfortunately, the bonafide audiophiles can sometimes be snooty about JVC and old speakers in general. But, I'd think you could get $50 to $70.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair..my neighbors HATE them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jvc is a very underrated brand that rocks the house ..have a jr-s200 and a rx40..luv em

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a set of Sk s44 and they Rock the house

    ReplyDelete
  6. How's the bass sound on these?

    ReplyDelete