Monday, July 1, 2019

Death of a Micro Stereo: 20 Minutes with a Sony CMT-BX1.

Thrift Store Stereo:  Sony CMT-BX1


Whoops, I did it again!  I bought a mini stereo from a thrift store. 
 
It was a Sony CMT-BX1.  For only $11, it seemed like a good buy.  I tested it.  The CD player worked.  The tuner hunted for radio stations, but the antenna was missing.  It had an auxiliary audio port so I could hook up my phone.  The system had a total of 40 Watts of power which would be just fine for a small space.  It sounded good.  It was cute.  How could I go wrong?



Let me count the ways!  Once I got it home, the problems began.
I should have known that an 11 year old micro stereo would have problems.


 First, the auxiliary port didn't work.  I tried with two different cables.  Disappointed, I went to bed with visions of getting a soldering iron and finding a loose wire.


The next day, I snagged the FM radio antenna from my stereo and plugged it into the little Sony.  I got radio stations and the sound was good.  All I would have to do is fix that auxiliary port and I would be in business.  Wrong!  After playing less than one song on the radio, the little stereo stopped making sound all together.


Unfortunately, major repairs are well beyond my capabilities and an $11 stereo doesn't merit further investment of time or money.  It's just a bummer.  I'm swearing off thrift store stereos again.  In its day, this was probably a great little stereo.  Someone got a decade of use out of this Sony CMT-BX1, but everything has a lifespan.

But, the speakers are still good.  I have another idea.  Maybe I could . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment