Sunday, May 17, 2015

Vintage Speaker Review: Technics SB-2845 Speakers

I recently added a set of vintage Technics SB-2845 3-way Speakers to my stereo system.  These speakers are 200-watt old school monsters!  They were a ridiculous purchase for an apartment dweller.  However, they sound very good.
When I found these speakers in a downtown Atlanta Goodwill for $20, I immediately pulled off the grills.  I expected to find dusty blown out speakers with half the foam flaked off the surrounds and a ripped cone or two.  Instead I found all the surrounds and cones to be intact.  The only issue seemed to be their size and some crumbly laminate at the rear of each enclosure.


When I brought them home, I found that the bulky Technics speakers dwarfed my sizeable Cerwin-Vega VS100 floor speakers.  The SB-2845 speakers were quite a bit taller and a little wider.   Fortunately, they weren't quite as deep so they nestled up against our walls quite well.

I hooked them up and found the sound quality to be very good.  The bass was deep and powerful.  The mid-range sounds and high notes all sounded clear.  Even our dog seemed happy with the sound.  He positioned himself in the perfect spot between the speakers.


Of course, when I posted about the Technics SB-2845 speaker's  on audiokarma, the very first reply scoffed and dismissed them as low end rack system crap speakers.  Perhaps if I "auditioned" dozens of speakers over the years, I might think the same.  But, I'm not so sure.  When it comes to stereo equipment, to thine own ears be true.  They sound good to me and I'm happy with them.

Of course, the Technics brand never got a lot of respect.  It was always known as a solid mid-range brand for Panasonic.  However, I have nothing but respect for mid-range brands that deliver solid value.  These speakers were a great find for $20!



4 comments:

  1. I've got a pair of these in my garage, bought as part of a "package deal" used. I didn't need them, and haven't tried them. Now want to clean out the garage. Anyone want to make an offer, come to San Rafael to pick up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - I'm in East Bay. If you still have the speakers, what is your asking price? David (510) 909-8440

      Delete
  2. Technics was never a low end brand and those speakers you got my friend are outstanding. The bass is hard and the clearness of them sound absolutely amazing. Great find and enjoy those top of the line speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have them too, it sounded amazing until the amp broke, does anyone know what amp I can currently buy to make them sound again?

    ReplyDelete