Sunday, March 22, 2015

Playing with a Vintage Test Record

If you are ever perusing old records at a thrift store, you may run across a test record.  I recently bought one that was created for Radio Shack entitled:  "Realistic Stereo Test Record for Home & Laboratory Use."  According to the album dust cover, it includes the following tests:  channel identification, channel balance, frequency response, speaker phasing, effective hum, rumble, flutter, stereo spread, cartridge evaluation, and stereo separation.  I'm not sure what all of those things mean.  But, I'm learning.



The channel identification just lets you distinguish between the left and right channel.  The channel balance helps you determine if you are getting the same amount of signal out of the left and right channel.  In my case, I wasn't getting as much power out of my right channel and had to adjust my speaker balance.  The frequency response plays warbling tones at various frequencies versus a control tone.  It confirmed that my bookshelf speakers can only play bass so low.


The flip side of the record has music selections that put your stereo to the test by playing music selected to demonstrate both low and high frequency tones.



Today, various companies still make audio test CDs or MP3 tracks for download.  These give you an opportunity to find out what your stereo can do.  Of course, these CDs are dangerous.  They could lead you down that slippery slope towards becoming a true audiophile!



No comments:

Post a Comment