Sunday, March 15, 2015

Close Encounters of the Kenwood Kind: KA-31 Amp, KT-31 Tuner, and KX-31 Tape Deck

Yesterday, I visited several Atlanta area thrift stores.  I checked out old stereos and vinyl albums.  I found some interesting stereo components.

70s Vintage Kenwood KA-31 Amp, KT-31 Tuner, and KX-31 Tape Deck
One interesting stereo that I found was the Kenwood KA-31 Amplifier, KT-31 Tuner, and and KX-31 Tape deck.  All had a dusty, dingy, appearance.  However, the trio would have cleaned up well.  They all had the shiny chrome face that was so popular during the 1970s and early 80s.  Plus, the whole bundle would have only been $25 at Goodwill.  Unfortunately, I could not find enough cables to hook everything together and see if it actually worked.

Controls for Kenwood KA-31 Amp
 
Front Panel for Kenwood KT-31 Tuner

A quick Google search didn't reveal anything spectacular about these vintage Kenwood stereo components.  If anything, some online discussions alluded to a time of low quality Kenwood equipment.  You can find specs and manual information at HiFi Engine.  Since my current stereo equipment is working, I shifted my search to vinyl.  Still it was an interesting Goodwill find.


2 comments: