Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pioneer Speakers: CS-G104. Floorstanding Speakers

I recently ran into some interesting looking speakers at Goodwill.  They were Pioneer CS-G104 Floorstanding Speakers.  
Pioneer CS-G104 Speakers
I didn't have my pocket knife so I couldn't pry the grills off.  However, when I shined my phone's flashlight through the black grill cloth, I couldn't see any flaws in the speaker cones or surrounds.  Even the wood laminate cabinets seemed unblemished.  Plus, it was also only $10.91 for the pair.  Plus, you just can't get this kind of quality colored vinyl laminated wood any more here in America.


 A quick check of this CS-G104 review on the interwebs revealed that owners were generally pleased with the sound from these speakers.  The interesting thing about this speaker design is that it has no dedicated mid-range speaker.  It just has a 10-inch woofer and a tweeter.  According to the information printed on the back, these are 50 watt speakers with 6 ohm resistance.  They were also made in the U.S.A. with U.S. and imported parts.

Pioneer CS-G104 Specifications

I was sorely tempted.  But, I had no rational reason to buy them.  I am quite happy with my current Pioneer bookshelf speakers.  I also like my monolithic Technics speakers.  So, I left them in the wild.  Perhaps someone else will discover them and get great joy using them in conjunction with a vintage receiver.


No comments:

Post a Comment