Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cheap Earphones Review: Nakamichi NK780 Metallic Over-The-Ear Headphones

I've been enjoying my latest dirt cheap audio find:  Nakamichi NK780M headphones. I found them at Kmart for astonishingly low price of $8.  Now, these headphones obviously aren't Sennheiser or Bose.  But, they stand out from a crowded field of low cost headphones.

Nakamichi Over The Ear Headphones - Metallic Edition


Of course, it's crucial to know that these headphones aren't actually made by the fabled Nakamichi company of yore.  Nakamichi had trouble making the transition into the era of CD players.  Now, like many such revered names, the Nakamichi brand is owned by holding company that makes products in China.  But, all of that is history, how are today's Nakamichi headphones.  The answer is not bad.

Nakamichi NK780 Metallic Over-The-Ear Headphones
Specifications.  My Nakamichi headphones are the NK780M metallic edtion over the ear headphones.  They have 40mm drivers with a sensitivity of 96dB plus or minus 3 dB.  They have a frequency response listed of 20 to 20000 Hz.  They have a detachable, cloth-covered, cord that is about 1.5 meters long.  They also come with a built in microphone with a remote.  They have perforated ear pads that are quite comfortable.

Sound.  The sound from these headphones is quite good to my ears.  It seems well balanced and pleasant.  I think normal folks will be happy with them.  Audiophiles will probably find fault and pay for more expensive gear. These were very nice for streaming audio on my phone.  I don't think the earphones were a weak link in my audio chain.



Durability.  I have fallen asleep while wearing these headphones a couple of times.  I have rolled on them, and I have slept on them.  They have survived.  This is no small feat since I am a big guy weighing over 350 pounds.  These headphones hold up better than many in the category.  Thre are no small and fussy exposed parts to bend or break.  Like most low cost headphones, the simulated leather padding is a little thin and the stitching is a little uneven when observed very closely.



Style.  The style of these headphones is modern and contemporary.  The Nakamichi name and logo are present in an obvious, but understated, way.  The metallic backs of the headphones are shiny and sleek.

Comfort.  I found these headphones to be comfortable once I adjusted them to keep the padded arch up  off of the top of my head.  The ear pad cushions are quite comfortable.



Overall, I like these earphones.  They provide good sound for a good price.  If you check them out on Amazon, you may well find low prices from a variety of sellers.  They are great bang-around headphones.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Thanks a ton for highlighting this Headphone brand. I didn’t know about this. I think we all must in best only in the best Headphone brands as they offer high quality stuff that is safe for us and don’t cause any problem to our hearing capabilities.

    ReplyDelete