Sunday, December 7, 2014

Cheap Stereo Cables

A lucrative industry has grown up around providing premium stereo cables to audiophiles.  Some folks swear theycan hear a difference between normal and premium cables.  Others discount the effects of premium cables citing science and physics.
I believe in having quality cables that allow you to make a good connection between your components.  I don't fully believe in magical cables that make a difference in sound quality.  However, my mind is open.  I also tend to believe that people who have seen ghosts, UFOs, bigfoots, and chupacabras have seen something out of the ordinary.  But, I can't say they exist until I see one myself.

For my stereo systems, I tend to use semi-premium cables from brands like Monster Cables.  They have nice connectors and are easy to work with.  At some stereo stores, Monster Cables cost a little more than a plain jane RCA cable.  But, here is my secret:  thrift stores that sell stereo components often sell cables.  At one of my local Goodwill stores, a Monster Cable goes for $7.97.

Monster Cables at a Thrift Store


You can get new stereo cables from Amazon for just a little more.  I always buy new speaker wire from Walmart or Target.  Speaker wire tends to visibly deteriorate over time.  If you have a twenty year old stereo, there is no reason to have twenty year old speaker wire.

Thrift Store Cables
I should note that finding stereo cables at thrift stores can be pretty hit or miss.  Since we were thrifting regularly, I would just pick up a good quality cable whenever I found one until I had a good stockpile.


No comments:

Post a Comment