Sunday, July 6, 2014

SA-222 Receiver Becomes A Redneck Amp

I was a little discouraged when I discovered a niggling problem with the quartz lock feature of my latest thrift store find: a Technics SA-222 Receiver. It got great reception in Mono, but no reception in stereo. It bothered me because the vintage Technics receiver has a small form factor, is easy to attach to speakers, and puts out the perfect amount of power for a bedroom system.  Fortunately, the miracle of the Y Cable Splitter gave me an idea!


However, as the old cliche goes, when life hands you lemons make lemonade. I came up with a solution that would make Jeff Foxworthy proud. He once joked that you might be a redneck if your good television sits on top of your old television. Well, I guess the same might go for stereo receivers. I set a simple GPX dorm room stereo on top of my Technics Receiver.

Redneck Stereo:  Technics SA-222 Receiver and GPX Micro System

  The GPX gets radio in stereo.  It also can get input from my record player.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I managed to fix the problem with my SA-222, that played only FM mono. You need to set VR301 to the correct position. That was all I had to do. Problem fixed, FM is in STEREO. :-)

    ReplyDelete