Monday, January 18, 2016

Audio Review: Grundig 960 Classic AM/FM/SW Radio

One of the nicest looking pieces of audio gear in our humble abode is a Grundig 960 Classic Radio.  It's reproduction of their classic antique Grundig 960 using modern components.  It's a retro radio with an RCA input to allow modern inputs to be used.  The reviews on Amazon for this radio are mixed so let me share my impressions and experience.



Style.  The Grundig 960 is rather large for a radio.  It has analog dials that are reminiscent of a 1960's car radio.  It has a sturdy wooden chassis and internal speakers that fire to the sides.  Since the dials didn't have markings, I initially had trouble making sure they were centered when adjusting left-right balance.  To fix this I added a small arrow shaped sticker to each dial.

Sound.  I found the sound quite good for a radio.  It could provide sound in stereo. To me, it sounded better than most comparably sized boomboxes but it wasn't as good as a far more expensive Bose Wave Radio.

Reception.  Living in a large city, I had no trouble pulling in FM radio stations. While some reviewers have said that the radio could drift, in my experience, the FM stations held just fine.  I have not honestly tried the Shortwave reception.   However, I think that the long lost the manual said there was an internal antenna for AM/FM and that shortwave might require a long external wire antenna to work well.


Specifications.  These are the specifications for the radio according to the back panel.  I do not believe that the speakers are 12 watts, but they are strong enough to sound quite good within a bedroom or office.



Overall.  This had been a nice radio for me.  It looks nice in a bedroom setting and it sounds good.  Reviews on Amazon for this set were mixed, but I found it to be a nice radio.  Of course, I paid about $50 for this radio at a thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment