Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thrift Store Stereo: Sony STR-D790 Receiver

My stereo trials and tribulations may be at an end.  I found a Sony STR-D790 AM/FM Stereo Receiver with Audio/Video Control Center on one of my recent Goodwill runs and it has officially become the centerpiece of my bedroom system.  It provides stereo sound all the time, not some of the time.  I've been able to run the Sony STR-D790 for long period of time without any issues so far.  Since the receiver seems solid, I know longer have to search for a better receiver.  It's nice to be able to simply relax and listen to a niggle free system!

Sony STR-D790 Stereo Receiver
So far, I've been able to program in some stations and get my turntable plugged in.  Since my Radio Shack phonograph has a built in amplifier of some sort, I use the Digital Audio Tape plugs on the back of the receiver.  To connect more, I should really read the manual.  Fortunately, the operating instructions are still available in the product support section at the official Sony website.  Here is the link:

Sony STR-D790 Manual

This system should let me hook up old school VCRs or DVD players and run a couple of small speakers for center channel speakers.  Right now, I'm just running it as a straight 2-channel stereo.  I think it is technically a 2.1 channel system.

The Sony STR-D790 isn't really a "vintage" receiver.  But, as a dedicated thrift store shopper, I can officially say that "working" beats "vintage" for me.

9 comments:

  1. I sold my Sony STR-D790 when I moved across the country 4 years ago in 2011. It was my high school graduation gift from my parents way back in 1993, a throwback to happier times. I remember getting to pick it out with my parents and little sister - it was the very last one, the floor model at a local store in the era before the Big Box stores took over. The decision came down to that floor model or a simpler one with fewer bells and whistles and one less minor scratch. I think it was about $250 at the time, but I definitely made the right choice. I set that substantial sucker right next to me on the passenger seat through about a dozen moves, including 3 college campuses and multiple early jobs in 5 different cities, and eventually back to my little home town. It never skipped a beat, reliably pumping out tunes every place I laid my head. Selling it to move to California is one of my biggest regrets of my life. It wasn't the biggest, it wasn't the baddest, but for me, it was the sweetest. It was mine. Enjoy that sucker as I continue my E-bay and Craigslist search for one in mint condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there....look no further!!! I have the Sony STR-D790 and it is in mint condition. Truly...I hate to part with it..but email me at melicious7778@gmail.com and make me an offer I can't refuse and it's yours. I love this stereo but I have fallen on hard times and I just can't keep it. You sound passionate about it like I am so drop me a line if you're still looking...nice Christmas gift for yourself anyway...check out my ad
      http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/5339561837.html?lang=en&cc=us

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Bought mine out of a catalog back around 1992 (cant remember the exact date) for a cool crisp $300. Still use it to this day, even though it has been delegated to running my outside speakers on the patio (which it still does a damn fine job at).

      Delete
  2. I bought mine back in late 92 I think it was, it's still in service and pumping out good sound after 25 years. It's providing sound to the man cave nowadays as it's was retired from Home Cinema duties a few years ago. It's never missed a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know as I just purchased a D790 last night in very good condition with a working remote for $25 on marketplace. Lets see if I can get a few more years out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually is a really decent sounding piece. Got a decent phono section in it believe it or not. Puts out real power too. Underrated piece IMO :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This actually is a really decent sounding piece. Got a decent phono section in it believe it or not. Puts out real power too. Underrated piece IMO :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked one today at an estate sale for $44. In mint condition, not a scratch on it. Now to find a pair of speakers to hook up to it.

    ReplyDelete