Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thrift Store Stereos: A Marantz Stereo for Less than $10

Today, the Marantz brand is synonymous with upper end of the home audio pack.  However, that has not always been the case.  When Marantz was making a name for itself, the brand was not always the top of the line.  Perhaps, that is why this tuner-amplifier combination was only $7.97 at my local Goodwill store.  I gave it a quick test with the speakers and wires on hand at the store and it didn't seem to have any obvious problems so it came home with me.  Today the Marantz brand is one of the most respected and priciest consumer electronics bands.

The amplifier / equalizer on my vintage stereo unit is labeled Marantz Stereo Amplifier PM-70.  The top portion is labeled Marantz Quartz Synthesized Stereo Tuner ST-70.  While they look like two separate components, this is actually a one piece integrated system.

About two weeks later, I added this Technics SL-PD847 Compact Disc Changer for only $16.91.  Thrift store CD players are always a crap shoot.  But, I tested this one thoroughly in the store and it seemed to work and it changed discs quietly.  It can hold 5 CDs and all the controls are accessible from the front of the unit. 
 
You'll also see an RCA Y-cable sticking out from beneath the CD player.  It lets me stream music from my phone through the receivers AUX port.  A T-shaped antenna brings in the FM radio signals.  I haven't bothered with an AM antenna yet.  However, I have several packed away in strange parts of my storage closet.  All in all, this humble system lets me get the music out and fills the room with pretty decent sound.  The complete system uses some Pioneer bookshelf speakers that I had on hand.  All together, it's a respectable system that sounds good for an amazingly low price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment