Sunday, March 20, 2016

My Thrifty Stereo: Evolving A Small Stereo System

With our recent move, my stereo setup has evolved significantly.  It's shrinking.  We're down to just two components:  a receiver and a DVD player.  

 

Stereo Components That Disappeared

 

Where did it all go? We donated the vinyl, the record player, the tape deck, and our super huge speakers before the move.  Our CD player simply  disappeared.  We suspect that our movers stole it.  My Insignia multi-CD changer was one of the few components that I bought new.  My big Technics receiver didn't take the move well and started acting up.  Crazy huh?

 

Current Stereo Configuration

 

But, new technologies and configurations are now in play.  Our stereo now sits in our office between two computers.  We've also discovered streaming audio from Amazon Prime on my smartphone.  My wife prefers to watch music videos on Youtube.  All of this can be piped into the receiver via a simple Y-cable.
The humble Technics SA-160 receiver works very well in a small space.  I have it connected to a pair of JBL N24 Northridge bookshelf speakers.  An aging DVD player serves as a CD player.  Playing CD's one at a time seems sufficient for now.

 

The Future of Our Stereo

 

What's next?  I do want to get a newer CD player at some point.  However, other components can wait.  I don't see getting back into vinyl any time soon.  We're thinking compact.  I would like to get a streamlined compact antenna and avoid the messy wire T antenna.  I would also like to get a component that is dedicated to streaming music well.  It should be an interesting evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment