Sunday, October 19, 2014

Thrift Store Audio: Pioneer S-HTP55 Center Channel Speaker

Thrift stores are consistently filled with cast off speakers from surround sound systems.  Sometimes you'll find satellite speakers.  Sometimes you'll find center channel speakers. Sometimes you'll find whole speaker systems with a subwoofer, a center-channel speaker, and several satellite speakers.


Pioneer S-HTP55 Center Channel Speaker
Since my latest Sony receiver can handle one or two center channel speakers, I picked up a lone Pioneer S-HTP55 Center Speaker on a recent thrift store run.  I figured that the 50 watt 8 ohm speaker would be a good match for two 50 watt Sony speakers currently attached to this system.

Pioneer S-HTP55 Center Channel Speaker (Back Panel)
 Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the resulting sound when listening to music.  The center channel speaker on my Sony 2.1 channel stereo seemed to really weaken my right and left speakers.  I'll have to try again with a movie in the DVD player.

Here is a more contemporary center-channel speaker from Pioneer.  Today's speakers seem to be designed for higher efficiency receivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment