Sunday, September 8, 2013

Beware of the Fake Tweeter

When it comes to low end audio gear, I don't have unrealistic expectations.  The product you buy has to be a good value in its price range.  When you are paying less than $50 for a mini stereo, you aren't getting audiophile gear.  However, I've noticed a trend among low end audio gear makes that I don't really don't like - fake tweeters and fake bass ports. 

Magnavox Mini Stereo with 3 CD Changer

My Magnavox MAS85 Compact Stereo with 3-disc CD changer appears to have fake tweeters and fake base ports.  Another system with fake tweeters molded into the speaker design is my GPX HM3817DTBK Micro System with Remote and AM/FM Radio.  For less than $40, it's not a bad value.  But, these fake non-functional styling cues are rather deceptive.

My next logical question is obvious - Can I upgrade a system like this with better speakers?  The answer is yes.  If I can find some bookshelf speakers with 8 ohm impedance and less than 50 Watts of power, I should be able to use them instead of these speakers with non-functional styling cues.  This would probably be a good use of some vintage Realistic Minimus 7 speakers.

These popular Dayton speakers have 6 ohms of impedance:

These Sony speakers have 8 ohms of impedance, but might not get enough power from my mini-system:

I'll probably test my mini system with 50 watt Sony bookshelf speakers that I have on hand before making any purchase.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Philips FW-C38 hifi. It have tweeters but I think those are fake. Dammit! :(

    ReplyDelete