Sunday, March 13, 2016

Vintage Speaker Encounter: BSR DR-1550R Five-Way Floorstanding Speakers

Do I want to undertake a restoration project?  It's the question I asked myself when I found a set of big BSR DR-1550R Five-Way Floor Standing Stereo Speakers at Goodwill.


These 150 watt monsters needed some new surrounds.  But the cabinets and grills looked good.  With a little TLC, they might turn out to be great speakers, but they aren't particularly practical for apartment life.

According to this thread on Audiokarma.org, these speakers aren't really audiophile models, but they are loud.  With up firing tweeters, they are an interesting design for sure.  While audiophiles might scoff at them, plenty of regular folks have been pleased by these sorts of speakers.  Plus, 15-inch woofers don't grow on trees.


Ultimately, I left these for someone else to find, chrerish and restore.  For those about to rock, we salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment