Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cheap Bookshelf Speaker Options: Dayton B452 and Dayton B652

I decided to re-donate my Sony bookshelf speakers.  They were old Sony SS-D201 units and they were connected to my bedroom stereo by a thin tenuous set of wires that emanated from deep within the speaker.


One of those wires was loose and I was having intermittent speaker issues.  So, I donated them back to Goodwill and decided to switch to a set of 30 watt Philips micro stereo speakers  The Philips speaker is shown on the right.


So far, the Philips speakers work quite well.  However, these speakers don't sound quite as nice as the Sony speakers once did.  That puts me back into the bookshelf speaker market.

There are a number of contenders to consider.  For example, Dayton Audio offers well-regarded B652 speakers for less than $50.  I'm also intrigued by their smaller and more budget friendly B452 speakers.  Steve Gutenburg of CNET gave them a positive review saying that "Dayton Audio B452 Speakers Pack A Punch at a Bargain Price."



A more technical Dayton B452 review by Average Joe Audiophile showed similarities between the two speakers but a real performance drop off after 1.5 Khz.  That might be o.k. because I experience hearing issues above that frequency, too!  If nothing else, the Dayton Audio Speakers might be an interesting addition to one of my stereo systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment