Sunday, September 29, 2013

Reviewing Maxell Digital Studio Series Headphones

Since music has become more personalized and portable, headphones have become an even more important audio purchase.  One of the first things I did upon assembling my vintage stereo was buy some headphones so that we could listen to music with a modicum of privacy.  Of course, this is the Dirt Cheap Audio Blog, so I bought my headphones from the best audiophile suppliers in the community:  RiteAid and Kmart.



The Kmart headphones were Maxell Digital Studio Series headphones.  I found them attractive because they have 40mm drivers.  Plus, they were on sale for less than $30.  To me, they sounded pretty good.  But, they were rather uncomfortable due to the padded center piece in the middle (see picture) that presses down on the top of your head. 

Ultimately, I decided to cut that center piece off in the interest of comfort.  The headphones still sound good, but they feel much flimsier.  It'll be interesting to see how they hold up.  If you'd like to buy some, they are dirt cheap on Amazon.com.

Looking on Amazon.com, I see that they Maxell AMP-B Heavy Bass headphones get much better reviews and are in that magical dirt cheap $20 price range.

No comments:

Post a Comment